[NANOG-announce] Announcing the October 2012 NANOG Elections

Sylvie LaPerriere sylvie at newnog.org
Sat Aug 4 20:16:54 UTC 2012

*Hello NANOGers!

This message is to encourage you, as a participant of this community, to
become NANOG members and to consider standing for a leadership position at
our upcoming October elections.

The call for Board members nominations will be from August 20 to October 1
and for committee members from Sept 17 to October 23.  We wanted to provide
you now with the election process preview.  It’s posted at
http://www.nanog.org/governance/elections/2012elections/ and we’ll make
announcements at every step.

Why should you become a NANOG member?

One Member = One Voter = One Eligible Candidate

Candidate and Voter eligibility are opened to every ‘member in good
standing’.  You may never have attended a conference but as an active
reader and poster on our mailing lists, you contribute to the knowledge of
this community.  Becoming a NANOG member gives you the right to stand for a
position and to vote in October.  You can join at
http://www.nanog.org/membership_main.html.

What is expected of Committee Candidates? How many vacant positions?

In Vancouver, we announced that the current leadership was documenting the
roles, responsibilities and expectations placed on each position.  We trust
you will find the following useful.  Candidates will be appointed Committee
members by the newly elected Board next October.

* 8 vacancies: Program Committee Member
http://www.nanog.org/governance/PC_Responsibilities.pdf
* 2 vacancies: Communications Committee Member
http://www.nanog.org/governance/CC_Responsibilities.pdf
* 2 vacancies: Development Committee Member
http://www.nanog.org/governance/DC_Responsibilities.pdf

<https://www.nanog.org/governance/elections/2012elections/2012_Declaration_of_Candidacy.docx>
What is expected of a Board Candidate? How many vacant positions?

Read the Board Member Responsibilities and NANOG by-laws for a complete
understanding of the expectations placed on Board Members.
Board Member   http://www.nanog.org/governance/BOD_Responsibilities.pdf
NANOG By-laws
http://www.nanog.org/governance/documents/By-Laws_20110104.pdf

To ensure continuity on the Board, three seats out of six become open each
year due to the expiration of 2-year terms.  The Board members whose terms
are expiring in October are:

*  Patrick Gilmore
*  Daniel Golding
*  Michael K. Smith

Patrick has served two 2-year terms and cannot be considered for
re-electionuntil October 2013 (one year leave).  Daniel is completing
the term vacated
in June 2012 and he can stand for re-election.  Michael is completing the
term vacated in August 2011 and he can stand for re-election.

How do you Nominate?

You can self-nominate.  You care about NANOG’s governance and want to take
a turn at volunteering your time and expertise to help make it better.
1. Make sure you are a NANOG member in good standing
2. Submit your Declaration of Candidacy to elections at nanog.org.

You can nominate others.
1. Send their contact information to elections at nanog.org
2. If they accept the nomination, they will be asked to become a NANOG
member in good standing
3. They will have to submit their Declaration of Candidacy to
elections at nanog.org.

As NANOG continues to evolve, our Board and our Committees will continue to
play an increasingly important role in our success.  We thank you in
advance for becoming NANOG members and taking an active part in our
governance.

Best regards,

Sylvie, on behalf of the NANOG Board of Directors *

--

Sylvie LaPerriere

NANOG Board Chair   -  www.nanog.org