Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Aug 4 16:56:06 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Well, in North Alabama in April 2011, we had to drive a lot more than 5
> miles (unless you left a 0 off the end).  Across the Tennessee state
> line (a good bit north of it) they had power, but they quickly ran out
> of gas (and had a several hour wait in line to get what they had).  I
> was headed to Atlanta, and in 100 miles I drove past just one open gas
> station (with very long lines) before I filled up in Georgia.

100 miles isn't a serious logistics problem with 500 gallons of fuel
tank in the bed of a pickup truck. That buys you 8-12 hours for 100
fiber huts with $500 gasoline generators before you send the next crew
for more.

If it's the 2003 Northeast blackout or Hurricane Katrina then OK but
short of that the LECs and CLECs and cable companies should be able
keep the vast majority of their infrastructure online.

Hell, local Verizon couldn't even keep the 911 center online. Both it
and its backup collapsed.

Got news for these folks: if you have cable on the poles spidering in
to lots of homes and businesses you are a critical infrastructure
provider and you need to act like it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004