Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Aug 4 15:15:05 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Besides, where do you think you're going to get gasoline in a
> wide-spread extended power failure?  Few gas stations have generators,
> and even if they do, they'll sell out of gas quickly.  That distribution
> system also needs power.  The diesel for our generator had to be trucked
> in from outside the affected area (Birmingham IIRC).

I managed to get gasoline for my generator. I had to drive upwards of
5 miles and pass as many as 7 closed stations to get it. But it was
available and if I'd planned better with respect to containers to
carry it in I'd have had zero difficulty. Some stations did have
generators. And some were in locations that didn't lose power in the
first place.

The kind of event which ends access to fuel tends to destroy the
communications infrastructure anyway so that loss of power is not the
main barrier to operations.

Extended loss of power is a regular, high-probability threat. I think
it reasonable to expect the local communications companies to be ready
for it and capable of keeping the key infrastructure online.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004