Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Fri Aug 3 18:51:31 UTC 2012

On 8/3/12 8:56 AM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Alain Hebert <ahebert at pubnix.net> wrote:
>>     Yes the easier way to do it is have your subnet routed to someone that
>> is willing to colo your router, or provide your with something like NHRP,
>> and use a 87x on your brand new unnamed Cable/DSL provider to create a NHRP
>> tunnel for it.
>>
>>     We have many customers which required that kind of tunnel to bypass some
>> belligerent TelCo.
>>
>>     But if you're going to drop your T1 for Cable/DSL get 2 of them using
>> different technology and from different provider (aka 1 Cable and 1 DSL =D).
>
> I'm doing this. Works well most of the time. A couple months ago we
> had major storm related outages in the area that persisted a couple of
> days. Internet service on both lines dropped out after 12 hours. It
> seems the telcos and cable companies don't consider the commodity
> Internet part of their equipment to be something which needs
> electricity during an extended grid outage. Cox. Verizon. I'm looking
> at you.

Most don't, and for the price being paid on commodity connections I feel
indifferent about it. The central plant days are mostly gone; there's
fiber huts everywhere and not enough trucks/manpower (in my area a
lineman sits in his truck and reads a book while tethered to the power
kiosk) to run them all if the outage is too widespread for too long.

~Seth