Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Aug 3 15:56:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Alain Hebert <ahebert at pubnix.net> wrote:
>     Yes the easier way to do it is have your subnet routed to someone that
> is willing to colo your router, or provide your with something like NHRP,
> and use a 87x on your brand new unnamed Cable/DSL provider to create a NHRP
> tunnel for it.
>
>     We have many customers which required that kind of tunnel to bypass some
> belligerent TelCo.
>
>     But if you're going to drop your T1 for Cable/DSL get 2 of them using
> different technology and from different provider (aka 1 Cable and 1 DSL =D).

I'm doing this. Works well most of the time. A couple months ago we
had major storm related outages in the area that persisted a couple of
days. Internet service on both lines dropped out after 12 hours. It
seems the telcos and cable companies don't consider the commodity
Internet part of their equipment to be something which needs
electricity during an extended grid outage. Cox. Verizon. I'm looking
at you.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004