Cisco 7200 PCI Limitations

shthead lists at shthead.com
Fri Aug 3 07:36:38 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have a 7200 series router (7204) here and I am trying to figure out
something with it. Currently the router has a NPE-G1 card in it, giving
it 3 gig interfaces but I need an extra gig interface on it to make 4.

Having a look around the available options are either get a PA-GE card
that fits into one of the slots on the router or to get a C7200-I/O-GE+E
(I/O controller with a gbit port on it).

The PA-GE wouldn't be suitable as looking at the Cisco site the PCI bus
will limit it to 300mbit full duplex (and it goes on further to say it
will be limited to approx 200mbit in best case scenario due to the
design of the card) [1].

The other option left is the I/O controller. I found that you can get a
port adaptor jacket card [2] for the 7200's that let you stick a normal
interface card into the I/O controller slot (instead of the I/O
controller itself).

My main concern is if the jacket card uses its own PCI bus I am assuming
the C7200-I/O-GE+E also connects via PCI which means it would be subject
to the same limitations as the PA-GE.

Does anyone have any idea if that would be correct and the only option
for another gbit port would be to get another device?

Thanks for the help

[1]
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a00800c814a.shtml#backinfo
[2]