cost of misconfigurations

Simon Knight simon.knight at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 04:22:02 UTC 2012

Quantifying the business costs would be very complex.

Here are some reports and research papers that may be a starting point:
[1]	Juniper Networks, Inc., “What's Behind Network Downtime?,” pp.
1–12, May 2008.
[2]	R. Mahajan, D. Wetherall, and T. Anderson, “Understanding BGP
misconfiguration,” Proceedings of the 2002 conference on Applications,
2002.
[3]	A. Medem, R. Teixeira, N. Feamster, and M. Meulle, “Joint analysis
of network incidents and intradomain routing changes,” Network and
Service Management (CNSM), 2010 International Conference on, pp.
198–205, 2010.
[4]	D. Turner, K. Levchenko, A. C. Snoeren, and S. Savage, “California
fault lines: understanding the causes and impact of network failures,”
presented at the SIGCOMM '10: Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM 2010
conference on SIGCOMM, 2010.
[5]	Z. Yin, X. Ma, J. Zheng, Y. Zhou, L. N. Bairavasundaram, and S.
Pasupathy, “An empirical study on configuration errors in commercial
and open source systems,” presented at the SOSP '11: Proceedings of
the Twenty-Third ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, 2011.
[6]	Z. Kerravala, “As the Value of Enterprise Networks Escalates,
So
Does the Need for Configuration Management
,” cs.princeton.edu, 01-Jan.-2004. [Online]. Available:
https://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/fall10/cos561/papers/Yankee04.pdf.
[Accessed: 09-May-2012].
[7]	W. Enck, P. McDaniel, S. Sen, and P. Sebos, “Configuration
management at massive scale: System design and experience,” USENIX
'07, Jun. 2007.
[8]	R. D. Doverspike, K. K. Ramakrishnan, and C. Chase, “Structural
overview of ISP networks,” Guide to Reliable Internet Services and
Applications, pp. 19–93, 2010.