Squeezing IPs out of ARIN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 26 19:14:13 UTC 2012

On 4/26/12, Jack Bates <jbates at brightok.net> wrote:
> On 4/26/2012 1:05 AM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
>> In addition to this documentation,  for reallocations of  /29 or  more
>> IPs, SWIP or Rwhois is also required by policy.
>
> It is unreasonable to require detailed customer information on /32
> static assignments which make up the smallest fraction of space compared
> to the huge blocks of dhcp pools (pools which justify allocations on
> their own).

It depends.

If you have a healthy mix of assignment sizes and your contact at ARIN
is hassling you about the /32's, you may want to ask why he's seeking
that information in light of the policy cut-off at /29.

If the bulk of your assignment sizes are /32 then I suspect your ARIN
contact is really saying: This fits a pattern consistent with careless
and poorly tracked assignments which if audited would reveal enough
dead assignments to put you in violation of policy. Show us that's not
the case.

If you have already provided a reasonable demonstration of the actual
utilization of your /32's yet you're still getting hassled about
identifying those customers that would seem, to my read anyway, to
violate ARIN's written policy. In which case I'm confident that ARIN
President John Curran would like to hear from you privately.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004