Squeezing IPs out of ARIN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Apr 25 22:19:07 UTC 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Andy Susag wrote:

> We just recently "wrastled" with ARIN to get a whopping /22 from them,
> it wasn't very easy.
>
> Keeping record of what you have allocated downstream is important and I
> totally agree with ARIN insisting this be done. Luckily as long as you
> have an address, customer name, and a contact, you can issue reassign
> simples to hostmaster. You don't have to walk your customers through
> creating POCs and ORG-IDs. When you issue a reassign simple, it will
> automatically create all that. As long as your allocations are 80% full,
> you should be able to make a request. You might not get what you want
> though.
>
> Seems kind of counterproductive to ARIN though. I wouldn't think they'd
> like a database full of fudged SWIP info, but I guess they're OK with
> it...

Andy -

You're 90% right in your quick summary about reassignment data; more details are
available here: <https://www.arin.net/resources/request/reassignments.html>
If you've got concerns regarding privacy for residential subscribers, there are
specific mechanisms for handling that, but otherwise you should be putting in
accurate reassignment data (including organization) for each IPv4 assignment of
/29 or more.  To not do so would be very awkward for you and your customers if
your network block were reported for Internet number resource fraud due to
being "full of fudged SWIP info"...

FYI,
/John

John Curran