Network Storage

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 23:18:53 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
> You can also look at a machine like this:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/417/SC417E16-R1400U.cfm
>
> Jared Mauch
>
> On Apr 12, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Matthew Luckie <mjl at luckie.org.nz> wrote:
>
>>> 1) My goal is to store the traffic may be fore ever, and analyze it in
>>> the future for security related incidents detected by ids/ips.
>>
>> Take a look at "Building a Time Machine for Efficient Recording and
>> Retrieval of High-Volume Network Traffic"
>>
>> https://www.usenix.org/conference/imc-05/building-time-machine-efficient-recording-and-retrieval-high-volume-network

Just FYI, it's somewhat of a tossup on large large arrays with 3.5"
and 2.5" models.  Equivalent 3.5" units hold 36-48 HDDs, and drive
sizes for enterprise SAS drives are 3 TB in 3.5" vs 1 TB in 2.5" now,
so you get more per box with 3.5" drives.  Also a lot cheaper in the
end.

About six months ago I purchased two similar boxes for nearline
backups purposes (lower bandwidth) with 3.5" drives; 34 x 3 TB plus a
couple of much faster 2.5" 15k boot drives,
post-RAID-10-and-hotspare-and-filesystem usable space was about 42 TB.
 About $22k each.  One can go somewhat cheaper than that but the VAR
had a good support story and "just fixed it" the next day when a RAID
card model didn't quite work out.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com