IPv6 support via Charter | Ideas on BGP Tunnel via HE

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Apr 11 20:00:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Anurag Bhatia <me at anuragbhatia.com> wrote:
> Also, does it makes sense to go for BGP Tunnel for now? I just setup IPv6
> Tunnel via Hurricane Electric. Latency seems pretty much OK ~ 10-15ms of
> overhead. Yet to test other parameters. I heard Tunnels are usually bad.
> Can someone tell how to test this tunnel setup to confirm if there is a
> performance issue or not? I am thinking of writing a quick bash script and
> run via cron to test latency, packet loss and bandwidth throughput for
> couple of days. If anyone has better idea, please let me know.

HE does a fine job with their IPv6 tunnels. If they're you're only v6
connectivity or you need them to provide a backup IPv6 route for when
sole native v6 provider goes down, they're a superb choice.

However...

Do not, do not, do not, rig your system to prefer tunneled IPvanything
to native IPvanythingelse. For all of the obvious reasons.

If you publish an IPv6 address for www.anuragbhatia.com, clients with
IPv6 will use that IPv6 address in preference to the address published
for IPv4. If your sole IPv6 access is with a tunnel, don't publish an
IPv6 address for www. Publish the IPv6 address under
www6.anuragbhatia.com instead. And on your mail server, have the
second MX point to a name with a AAAA, and let the first MX stay on
v4.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004