AT&T DSL bypass first line

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Apr 10 05:45:39 UTC 2012

On 4/9/12 8:21 PM, Brandon Ewing wrote:
> I've been an AT&T DSL customer for 3+ years, with no issues until
> they started sending people into my neighborhood to "start
> retrofitting for UVerse".  Since they've visited, my PPPoE has
> dropped once an hour, many times requiring me to restart my router
> (Cisco 877) to get my virtual interface to come back up.
>
> Speaking with the front line on the phone has given me nothing but
> problems (in their defense, I do have a non-standard modem) --
> could someone with knowledge provide me with a way to bypass the
> CSRs and speak to someone with clue to work out debug logs and
> figure out why I am suddenly an unhappy AT&T customer?

The same thing happened to me. You can try asking them to simply
change the line from "fastpath" to "interleaved" or lower the sync
rate. I was transferred to someone who made the changes live on the phone.

After they retrofitted my neighborhood for Uverse, fastpath would no
longer hold sync. I ultimately had to give up ADSL via my 877W because
AT&T coincidentally no longer offered anything better than 2Mbps ADSL
after the Uverse changes rolled through.

~Seth