The day SORBS goes away ...

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Mon Apr 9 16:55:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:50:00AM -0700, Brian Keefer wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2012, at 4:41 PM, TR Shaw wrote:
> >
> > As for SORBS, most competent mail admins dropped its use a long
> > time ago. I thought when Proofpoint took it over things would
> > change (I actually thought they would dump the SORBS name because
> > of bad karma) but it hasn't happened.
>
> Out of curiosity, has anyone other than the OP and one other
> gentlemen on the 4th had a serious issue? Do we know whether the
> issues from the 4th have been resolved? I'm wondering whether this is
> a chronic issue, or if folks are just extrapolating from one
> complaint.
>
> I looked back through the archives for the last year and the only
> other SORBS mentions were in July and August of last year.

I last worked at an ISP back in 2006, so this may not be relevant
today.  I do remember however relying pretty much exclusively on
Spamhaus.  Originally used SORBS too but found they were overly
aggressive on what they'd add to their RBL.  Maybe great if you're an
individual user, but not so great to be blocking all of yahoo/gmail,
etc as an ISP.

Don't think they were as frustrating to deal with as Spamcop though :)

Ray