DNS noise

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Apr 6 18:24:18 UTC 2012

On Apr 6, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
>> It turns out that DNSSEC makes a respectable traffic amplification vector:
> This is definitely a problem.

Yep.  So are SNMP reflection attacks (biggest attack I've seen was one of these) and any other datagram-oriented query/response protocol.

Treating a symptom and ignoring the disease. See http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp38

> One way of accomplishing that would be to indicate that DNSSEC data
> can be transmitted only over DNS when using TCP;

I suspect the root server operators might not like this idea very much.

Regards,
-drc