SORBS?!

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Apr 6 15:02:32 UTC 2012

On Apr 6, 2012, at 10:54 , Brielle Bruns wrote:

>> It turns into a customer service issue for most service providers.
>
> Eh, guess they'll just have to absorb the cost of that, like its expected that the recipients of spam have to absorb the cost of ISPs not disconnecting infected/spamming customers...
>
> And like how I have to absorb the costs of spending my time during the day answering removal requests from people who lie to me constantly and hope that I don't notice their little games.
>
> Ever wonder why it takes time for DNSbl's to process removals, sometimes very long periods?  Well, someone's gotta pay for that time the removal person does it (and I have yet to see a dime of compensation for the time I spend).

No, they don't.  Many DNSBLs use self-service tools.  Someone has to write the tool, but the rest is automated.  Total cost is power & space, which is frequently donated (I have personally donated some myself to DNSBLs I thought were well run).

Besides, anyone who knowingly causes harm to a third party and claims "it is a cost of doing business" or "mostly people like it" or "our $FOO is targeted and almost always correct, you must be an outlier and that's why it costs you" sound -exactly- like spammers to me.

Spammer who are up-front about it I can deal with.  Don't agree with or even like them, but at least we understand each other.  Hypocrisy is a different story.

--
TTFN,
patrick