Were A record domain names ever limited to 23 characters?

steve pirk [egrep] steve at pirk.com
Fri Sep 30 22:20:36 UTC 2011

Found a decent starting reference. It was a Network solutions limit... I
*knew* it! LOL
http://www.123-domain-register.com/longdomainnames.htm

The domain in question was inspectorgadgetthemovie.com 27 characters long
including the .tld. I was off by one, the limit was 22 characters for the A
record name and 4 characters for .com, .net, .org, .gov and .edu.

>From the 123-domain-register web page:

> The word is out... and the experts have been taking advantage of a change
> in Domain Name regulations that allows up to 67 characters in domain names.
>
> How this will impact you:
>
>    -
>
>    Long domain names filled with keywords can get you ranked higher on the
>    search engines. (yes, the search engines will rank them)
>
>    -
>
>    For those who could not get a DOT.COM domain name, or were limited by
>    the 22 character limit, those days are over...for awhile anyway.
>
>    -
>
>    This revolution is driven by entrepreneurs who can act quickly. If you
>    do not act soon, all the good domains will be gone, and you will have to pay
>    premiums you do not want to in order get the domain name you want.
>
> Since 1993, Network Solutions has registered more than 3.4 million domain
> names -- all limited to 26 characters. Now that their exclusive government
> contract is ending, competitors have tossed this artificial limit and are
> allowing longer names.

Cool, I was not dreaming... ;-]
--steve

--