Mails to Google being blocked for illegal attachments

Alex Brooks askoorb+nanog at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 11:34:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM, foks <lists at foks.se> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since Sep 7 Google has bounced a specific type of our mails with this
> message:
>
> host aspmx.l.google.com[74.125.43.27] said: 552-5.7.0 Our system
> detected an illegal attachment on your message. Please 552-5.7.0 visit
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590 to 552 5.7.0
> review our attachment guidelines. z4si211085bkd.116 (in reply to end of
> DATA command)
>
> The only attachment is a gif image so it seems that Googles check is
> wrong. Has anyone experienced this issue, or has any helpful contact
> information to Google? I have checked
> http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/static.py?page=contacting_support.ht
> ml and called these numbers, but they were not able to help me.

Hi,

Have you reported it through their support pages?  The one you're
after is probably:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=gtag_headers&group=bugflow_attachmentsnewbug&trouble_type=attachments

Generally, checking
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=known_issues.cs is
the first place to go with GMail issues if you're not an Apps
customer; they have a link to reporting problems at the bottom.
Though if you're not an Apps customer (or can't find one to report the
issue on your behalf as not receiving e-mails from you), I wouldn't
hold out too much hope for a response from it.

Do let us know how you solve the problem in the end.

Alex