Nxdomain redirect revenue

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 22:46:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM, David E. Smith <dave at mvn.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 17:08, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That is, HTTPs should become assumed.
> As much as that would be wonderful from a security standpoint, IMO
> it's not realistic to expect every mom-and-pop posting a personal Web
> site to pay extra for a static/dedicated IP address from their hosting
> company (even if IPv6 were widely deployed, Web hosts probably would

Thanks to TLS  SNI (server name indication), a dedicated IP address is
no longer necessarily,
RFC 3546, 3.1.

Yes, it is realistic to expect every mom-and-pop posting a personal
web site to utilize a provider that implements SNI,  and the sooner
they do it.

It's also realistic to expect them to buy one of those $15  SSL certificates.
Heck....   1 year .COM  registration used to cost a lot more than that.

We're not talking about huge recurring costs here.

--
-JH