Nxdomain redirect revenue

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Tue Sep 27 16:41:17 UTC 2011

On 9/27/2011 11:41 AM, Rubens Kuhl wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM,<Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>  wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:20:25 EDT, William Allen Simpson said:
>>
>>> It's not legal for an ISP to modify computer data.  Especially
>>> digitally signed data.  That's a criminal offense.
>> Citation?
> Could tampering with DNSSEC and/or TLS fall into DMCA grounds ?

Doubtful.  DMCA (the C is Copyright) protects copyright owners.  I have
never seen anyone claim copyright over their DNS records.

Interesting thought, but copyright law is a tangled mess that I would
guess is probably the wrong tactic if someone were planning to legally
oppose/attack service providers using NXDOMAIN redirection.  Also, only
the 'owner' of a copyright can bring suit.

-DMM