Nxdomain redirect revenue

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 27 14:48:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:20:25 EDT, William Allen Simpson said:

> It's not legal for an ISP to modify computer data.  Especially
> digitally signed data.  That's a criminal offense.

Citation?

Hint - a *big* chunk of ISPs have NAT deployed, and that's messing with packet
headers.  Much as many of us would like to see NAT go away, I don't think we
want an environment where deploying NAT gets us a new roommate and best friend
named Bubba.  Oh, and if you're not modifying the TTL field, you're Doing It
Wrong.

> It's not legal for a vendor to sell or give away equipment that aids
> interception and modification of data.  That's a criminal offense.

Again, citiation?

Meanwhile, CALEA *requires* you to have a network that aids in at least
the interception of data.  What's a poor ISP to do?