vyatta for bgp

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Mon Sep 26 21:06:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> --- rps at maine.edu wrote:
> From: Ray Soucy <rps at maine.edu>
>
> We service most of the state's public schools and
> libraries (about 1000).  Historically the CPE of
> choice was a small Cisco ISR (1600,1700, 1800, and
> 1900 most recently).  As bandwidth levels went up,
> and Ethernet-based transport services became
> available, we started looking and leveraging FOSS
> on commodity hardware to lower costs and move

>> After roll-out and after a time in steady-state
>> operation did you do an analysis of human and
>> hardware/software costs (as well as service to
>> end sites, such as outages that might not have
>> happened with normal routers and LAN switches)
>> to see if you actually saved money?

: For us, the ability to have more tools to poke
: at the state of the system and troubleshoot
: issues (such as performing packet captures
: directly on the device) has been invaluable.
: It has allowed us to track down issues (such
: as TCP window scaling problems with unnamed
: cloud services and their incorrectly configured
: load balancers) remotely that would have
: required on-site capture in the past.

This alone would put me in heaven, rather than the mirror to an open port and sniff it procedure...  :-)

Thanks for the response,
scott