Nxdomain redirect revenue

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 18:17:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:36:51 EDT, Christopher Morrow said:
>
>> I'm curious, is there some belief that the use of hte nxdomain
>> hijacking/rewriting is actually of use to 'users' ?
>
> "of use to users" is, in general, incompatible with "race to the bottom".

my point is that on the one hand the marketeers say: "This is a great
help to your users who are confused by the missing dns entries! They
like it! It is a benefit and a comfort to them!"

and on the other hand: "You will make lots of mullah from the nxdomain
rewriting! it's wonderful!"
  (plus some mumbling about, why would you want to give that money
away to the content providers of the world for free?)

-chris
(I don't believe that it's a great help, nor that customers actually
WANT it, nor that it makes great gobs of money... but I'm willing to
be educated)