Question on 95th percentile and Over-usage transit

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Sep 23 17:27:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:51:59 +0200, Pradeep Bangera said:

> Malayter in his earlier message. Hence I am wondering, whether the
> pricing should be a linear(CDR*[95th peak]) or sub-linear (like the
> above)?

Yes. :)

I think you'll find actual contracts out in the wild that do it either way, and
probably lots of variants as well, because the organizations buying the transit
have differing motivations.  Some will want to minimize their monthly expenses
at all costs and hope they don't get a surprise billing spike due to high
traffic, while others may very well be willing to pay 10% more a month for a
"guaranteed no surprises" billing structure for budgeting reasons.

Now, if you have a good model for "how likely is each method to result in
surprises in the real world".... ;)