wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Jim Duncan jduncan at juniper.net
Fri Sep 23 05:40:40 UTC 2011

Paul (and NANOG readers, because Paul actually already knows this),

With my parliamentarian hat on:

A nominating committee's essential function is to ensure that a minimum number of qualified, vetted individuals are placed on the slate of candidates for election. it should never be a gating function; it is an important safeguard to allow the nomination of qualified individuals outside the nominating committee and "from the floor" before votes are cast.

In the corporate world, nominating committees, for good or bad, have become instruments for rigorously constraining the slate of candidates for executive offices. The practice has become so common and widespread that many assume it is proper in all situations (much in the same way that the US Congress' standing rules modifying the "table" motion have caused the public to believe incorrectly that "tabling an issue" is the same as "postponing it indefinitely"; tabling correctly means the issue will be moved to a later time in the current meeting.

Although organizations may decide for themselves how a nominating committee will operate, it is inconsistent with the general principles of parliamentary process -- whichever standard you choose, Robert's, Sturgis, or another -- for all candidates to be forced to pass through the gauntlet of the nominating committee. In a perfect world, the nominating committee assists with preparations for elections, finds suitable candidates (at least one for every vacant position) and possibly identifies and cultivates future leadership for the organization.

More than my two cents' worth, but I got involved in parliamentary process exactly because of misunderstandings and misapplications like what I think may be happening here.  I'll be happy to explain further, if needed or desired.

I now return you to the more traditional discussions for this mailing list. ;-)

        Jim

--
James N. Duncan, CISSP
Manager, Juniper Networks Security Incident Response Team (Juniper SIRT)