wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 20 23:34:49 UTC 2011

Randy is right that ARIN has missed a step here.

It is unfortunate that there is no tool in existence that would test
conformance of a whois server, and with hindsight, it would have been
a good idea for ARIN to sponsor such a tool on one of the open source
repo sites like github or googlecode.

Instead, various people have encoded bits of the knowledge of how
whois should work, into their own private and closed source systems so
nobody, including ARIN, has a good way to test conformance of any
system changes that they make.

We can only hope that in future, protocol definitions and protocol
testing tools will be developed in a more open fashion so that there
is, in fact, an issue tracker where anyone can open a ticket and
complain about something that appears to be a bug. I don't think ARIN
should be doing issue tracking like this, or closed source
development, when there are so many open source tools available.
Bitbucket and Codeplex are another couple that come to mind.

-- Michael Dillon