wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Sep 20 21:02:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, Chris Adams wrote:

> Devil's advocate: if you have links to two carriers, but they are
> delivered via the same LEC on the same fiber, are you multihomed?  What
> about if you have two LECs at your facility, but the two circuits share
> a common path elsewhere (outside of your knowledge)?

I'd say you are.  End users frequently don't know the layout of their
carrier's networks, and I certainly wouldn't expect ARIN to be interested
in that level of detail.

What's next?  Are you going to ask if I'd require that your router have
dual power supplies from different UPS's, or that if they don't have dual
power, you have a router per transit connection?

It's a shame ARIN's auditors don't hang out here (or if they do, that they
don't jump in and end these sorts of "what if" circle-jerks).  It's a
simple enough question...have they already seen applications for IP/ASN
resources where the applicant was required to be multihomed and their
connectivity was one leased line and a GRE tunnel with BGP to a second
provider.  Was the request approved?

How many providers will even provision such a service?

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |