wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Sep 20 19:01:07 UTC 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Why would you say that a GRE or other tunnel is not full-time connectivity? I have full-time GRE tunnels to two ISPs and they do actually constitute multihoming under the ARIN interpretation of NRPM 2.7.
>
>> i.e. if you have a leased line connection to ISP-A, and a tunnel over that connection to ISP-B, and either A or your leased line fail, then you're down.  That's not multihoming.
>>

> In my case, I have full-time circuits to two entities that provide very limited IPv4 services. I use those two connections to route GRE tunnels to routers in colocation facilities. My AS consists of the routers in the colocation facilities combined with the routers at my primary location and the networks to which they are attached. The GRE tunnels provide OSPF and iBGP routing to the routers at my primary location and my prefixes are anchored on the routers at the primary location. The colo routers provide the eBGP border connectivity to the upstream routers at each of the colos.
>
> In what way is this not multihoming?

In the way that you are apparently incapable of reading what was written.  Jon very clearly states that if the GRE tunnel goes over the same physical infrastructure, it is not multihoming.  Then you go on to explain how you have two physical lines.

I'd tell you to stop trolling, but I honestly wonder if you are trolling.

--
TTFN,
patrick