wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Sep 20 13:13:07 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Henry Yen <henry at AegisInfoSys.com> said:
> A few (dozen) years ago, I was treated to a interesting demonstration where
> a coworker poured an oily fluid containing tiny metallic flakes on a patch
> of tape.  The "bits" on the tape could be clearly seen by the naked eye,
> and could be decoded (ever so slowly!) using a magnifying glass.

Dad has a little magnifying glass above a tray of metallic particles
with a slot below that.  He could pull a tape through the slot, tap the
device, and the particles would line up with the bits.

Of course, he also still has his NASA-issued slide rule still in his
desk at work. :-)
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>