wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Michael Painter tvhawaii at shaka.com
Tue Sep 20 10:29:11 UTC 2011

Randy Bush wrote:
>>>    http://ibm-1401.info/
>> A few (dozen) years ago, I was treated to a interesting demonstration
>> where a coworker poured an oily fluid containing tiny metallic flakes
>> on a patch of tape.  The "bits" on the tape could be clearly seen by
>> the naked eye, and could be decoded (ever so slowly!) using a
>> magnifying glass.
>
> standard ops procedure on those old tapes
>
> randy

Yep.  The method I was taught (IBM) was to loop the tape into the 'developing' solution container and see-saw it back and
forth to make sure the mag. particles were distributed.
Pull it out and wait until the medium evaporated.  Lay it down and carefully place 'scotch-tape' over the record.  Pull
the scotch tape up and re-tape it to a white, blank,  "punched card".
I still have the adjustable magnifier with the bit areas marked on the reticle.

--Michael