wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Henry Yen henry at AegisInfoSys.com
Tue Sep 20 06:00:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 01:22:43AM -0400, Barton F Bruce wrote:
> >Does anybody actually *have* a functional 7 track drive?
>
> The folks restoring at least one IBM 1401 probably have several.
>
>    http://ibm-1401.info/

A few (dozen) years ago, I was treated to a interesting demonstration where
a coworker poured an oily fluid containing tiny metallic flakes on a patch
of tape.  The "bits" on the tape could be clearly seen by the naked eye,
and could be decoded (ever so slowly!) using a magnifying glass.

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York