How to begin making my own ISP?

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Fri Sep 16 21:34:04 UTC 2011

On 09/16/2011 04:28 PM, hasserw at hushmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:02:39 -0400 Markus <universe at truemetal.org>
> wrote:
>
> I didn't receive any such email, sorry. Try resending it if you
> still have it ?

Maybe hushmail blocked it? :)

> @ Everyone else: thank you for the useful information. I didn't
> mean to come off as being bratty with my competition notation, it
> was meant as a bump to the posting and not an insult at anyone.

Thanks for clarifying.

> More info: yes, I was planning on having some co-lo sort of stuff,
> maybe running a dedicated server provider. However on my own IP
> space, and a good method of getting bandwidth of cheap. Stuff like
> paying 5€/GB makes me feel sick.

Hmmmm. Me thinks that's a no go. You are entering an incredibly
stiff competitive space. If you do have some magic pixie dust, I would sell
it to the highest bidder. :) (I do believe people were seeking pixie dust in
the 444 thread if I recall correctly).

Not to be snide, but what makes you think you have something that will
let you break into the colo market against a huge assortment of players?
(ref the lots and lots and lots of money response). You'll need some hefty
capital to attract customers. Plus if you can only compete on price, the
established players will just cut costs to match you.

That's all my opinion of course.

--
Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com @charlesnw on twitter

http://blog.knownelement.com

Building alternative,global scale,secure, cost effective bit moving platform
for tomorrows alternate default free zone.