How to begin making my own ISP?

Jima nanog at jima.tk
Fri Sep 16 18:38:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, mikea wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 02:10:29PM -0400, hasserw at hushmail.com wrote:
>> No one replied with any useful information. I guess no one wants
>> competition on this list? Pretty poor tactic.
>
> It's not safe to ass-u-me that absence of a reply is due to a desire to
> avoid competition. I strongly suspect that the answer to your question is
> very large, very complex, highly dependent on your location, business
> plan,
> connectivity, and the like, and that people simply don't have the free
> time
> to devote to tutoring you in how to build and run your startup. I know I
> don't.

 Furthermore, it's a truly poor assumption that the larger portion of
starting one's own ISP is a purely technical exercise.  I'd say the
financial, political, and marketing aspects are far more daunting than
the nuts-n-bolts side of things.  However, if you really want to get
advice about the tech side of it, I'd consider looking for an internship
with an ISP.

 Of course, another possible mistake was to assume that the majority of
NANOG members work for ISPs (as such).  Other entities operate networks,
y'know.

     Jima