Open Letters to Sixxs

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Sep 15 19:58:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:01:33 +0200, Meftah Tayeb said:
> Good thinking mike
> i do have a VoIp carrier single homed with Cogent.
> any solution?

Sure.  Make sure you have alternate plans for when Cogent gets into another
peering tiff.  Not *if*, but *when*.  And you probably want to have a long,
detailed, technical discussion with your Voip carrier about what *they* intend
to do when Cogent gets into a peering tiff.

And while you're at it, see if you can find out what *other* surprises their
network design has in it - I'm willing to bet a large pizza with everything but
anchovies that "single homed with Cogent" is *not* the only massive deficiency
in their network - it's probably the equivalent of finding a brown M&M backstage
at a Van Halen concert...

(Yes, there's corner cases where "single homing to a Tier-1" makes business
sense, if the pipe is really cheap and you can survive the revenue hit caused
by a routing/peering spat. I don't think "VOIP carrier" is one of those corner
cases)