what about the users re: NAT444 or ?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 14 12:29:40 UTC 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Dan Wing wrote:

>> One can do that with or without NAT. This claim that one cannot
>> keep a network running without a service provider connected if you
>> don't run NAT is a myth of dubious origin.
>
> If the hosts are running DHCP, and the ISP is running the DHCP
> server?  I guess they will fall back (after a while) to link-local
> and continue on their merry way.

That's some pretty big IFs. Even if I were using DHCP to get the prefix
from my service provider via DHCP-PD, I'd back-stop that with some
form of local DHCP server and deal with the need for manual intervention
when the provider renumbered me.

In my experience, getting renumbered is a rare enough experience that
I don't pay Comcast $60/year for a static address.

Owen