Disappointing ARIN - A great advertisement for the USA ?

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 13 03:07:07 UTC 2011

On 09/12/11 17:49, Jimmy Hess wrote:
>>> I think arin-discuss would be a better place for this than arin-ppml.
> You're suggesting using ARIN's private members-only mailing list over
> a public one?
> That doesn't make sense,  because this is a public issue, not a members issue.
> PPML isn't right either, that's a numbering policy discussion list,
> and this is an operational issue,
> not a policy matter.

I meant arin-tech-discuss, and Mark properly corrected me on that.
arin-tech-discuss is a public mailing list, and much more appropriate
for this sort of discussion than PPML.

> I think  this is a very simple matter, however...  in some way ARIN
> changed their WHOIS service that introduced major
> serious breakage.
>
> They need to fix that and revert their WHOIS service to its original
> query syntax and responses, which worked just fine.

Unfortunately, the original poster, against advice given to him, posted
an insulting, jingoistic, inane, and even more derogatory version of his
NANOG post, apparently in an effort to spur discussion.  What was once a
legitimate issue (and I agree one that needs to be addressed) now looks
more like troll-bait.  Unsurprisingly, nobody has responded.

michael