Microsoft deems all DigiNotar certificates untrustworthy, releases updates

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Mon Sep 12 18:23:37 UTC 2011

On 12 September 2011 18:39, Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
> Seriously, about the only way I see to ameliorate this kind of problem is
> for people to use self-signed certificates that are then authenticated
> by _multiple_ 'trust anchors'.  If the end-user world raises warnings
> for a certificate 'authenticated' by say, less than five separate entities.
> then the compomise of any _single_ anchor is of pretty much 'no' value.
> Even better, let the user set the 'paranoia' level -- how many different
> 'trusted' authorities have to have authenticated the self-signed certificate
> before the user 'really trusts' it.

So if I want my small website to support encryption, I now have to pay
5 companies, and hope that all my users have those 5 CAs in their
browser? Much better to use the existing DNS infrastructure (that all
5 of them would likely be using for their validation anyway), and not
have to pay anyone anything.

- Mike