Disappointing ARIN - A great advertisement for the USA ?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Sep 12 16:17:12 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-12 17:40 , Always Learning wrote:

Dear person who is to scared to setup a regular email account in his own
full name.

[..]
> The Internet was created in North America. Many people around the world
> would appreciate your help in getting ARIN to revert to normal WHOIS
> displays. ARIN wants enquirers to click on web page after web page to
> try and find the information previously displayed in a single response.
> Frankly that weird attitude is stark raving bonkers!

You are confusing RPSL (RFC2650) with WHOIS (RFC812,RFC954,RFC3912).

Now, I agree on the part that ARIN should be doing RPSL, or even more,
just start using the RIPE whois server for serving their data.
Converting that all over though is not something that will happen
easily. (and ARIN has an RPSL server somewhere, but it is not that well
populated if at all remotely current)

Next to that the bigger question is of course what you are looking for
in the whois data.

NANOG is not ARIN btw, thus you are posting to the wrong mailinglist for
your rant, for that see:
 https://www.arin.net/participate/mailing_lists/

Oh, and there they also like to see your real name and not a junk mail
address. Just like on the RIPE mailinglists, you know in the old country.

Greets,
 Jeroen