Why are we still using the CA model? (Re: Microsoft deems all DigiNotar certificates untrustworthy, releases updates)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 03:28:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Hughes, Scott GRE-MG
<SHughes at grenergy.com> wrote:
> Companies that wrap their services with generic domain names (paymybills.com and the like) have no one to blame but themselves when they are targeted by scammers and phishing schemes. Even EV certificates don't help when consumers are blinded by subsidiary companies and sister companies daily (Motorola Mobility a.k.a. Google vs. Motorola Solutions.)

So, part of my point here about ev/dv/etc certs is that in almost all
cases of consumer fraud and protection, HTTPS is never used. Hell,
half the spams I get are
http://IP_ADDRESS/somethign/something/something.php ... Falling back
on the 'well ev certs are there to provide protection to the consumer'
is just FUD (I think).

again, not seeing a benefit here...

-chris