NAT444 or ?

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Thu Sep 8 17:04:29 UTC 2011

Draft-donley-nat444-impacts conflates bandwidth constraints with CGN
with in-home NAT.  Until those are separated and then analyzed carefully,
it is harmful to draw conclusions such as "NAT444 bad; NAT44 good".

> Other simple tricks such as ensuring that your own internal services
> such as DNS are available without traversing NAT also help.

Yep.  But some users want to use other DNS servers for performance
(e.g., Google's or OpenDNS servers, especially considering they
could point the user at a 'better' (closer) CDN based on Client
IP), to avoid ISP DNS hijacking, or for content control (e.g.,
"parental control" of DNS hostnames).  That traffic will, necessarily,
traverse the CGN.  To avoid users burning through their UDP port
allocation for those DNS queries it is useful for the CGN to
have short timeouts for port 53.

> Certainly some more work can be done in this area, but I fear that the
> only way a real idea as to how much NAT444 really doe break things will
> be operational experience.

Yep.  (Same as everything else.)

-d