NAT444 or ?

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Thu Sep 8 05:26:46 UTC 2011

On 08/09/2011, at 2:41 AM, Leigh Porter wrote:

> [...]

It may not be what Randy was referring to above, but as part of that program at APNIC32 I reported on the failure rate I am measuring for Teredo. I'm not sure its all in the slides I was using, but what I was trying to say was that STUN is simply terrible at reliably negotiating a NAT. I was then wondering what pixie dust CGNs were going to use that would have any impact on the ~50% connection failure rate I'm observing in Teredo. And if there is no such thing as pixie dust (damn!) I was then wondering if NATs are effectively unuseable if you want anything fancier than 1:1 TCP connections (like multi-user games, for example). After all, a 50% connection failure rate for STUN is hardly encouraging news for a CGN deployer if your basic objective is not to annoy your customers.

regards,
Geoff