NAT444 or ?

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Wed Sep 7 20:05:08 UTC 2011

I was thinking of an average of around 100 sessions per user for working out how things scale to start with. It would also be handy to be able to apply sensible limits to new sessions, say limit the number of sessions to a single destination IP address and apply an overall session limit of perhaps 200 sessions per source IP address.

ACLs and blocklists are going to be a problem, perhaps, as LSN becomes more and more common, such things will gradually die out.

Considering that offices, schools etc regularly have far more than 10 users per IP, I think this limit is a little low. I've happily had around 300 per public IP address on a large WiFi network, granted these are all different kinds of users, it is just something that operational experience will have to demonstrate.

I would love to avoid NAT444, I do not see a viable way around it at the moment. Unless the Department of Work and Pensions release their /8 that is ;-)

--
Leigh