Do Not Complicate Routing Security with Voodoo Economics

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 09:33:12 UTC 2011

On Monday 05 Sep 2011 15:53:38 Owen DeLong wrote:
> This is true in terms of whether you care or not, but, if one just
looks at whether it changes the content of the FIB or not, changing
which arbitrary tie breaker you use likely changes the contents of the
FIB in at least some cases.

> The key point is that if you are to secure a previously unsecured
database such as the routing table, you will inherently be changing the
contents of said database, or, your security isn't actually
accomplishing anything.

This is true and should probably be considered a universal law. If the
introduction of security precautions to a system does not change the
system, the security precautions are ineffective.

This is based on the principle that people and systems are imperfect, so
it is extremely unlikely that there are no bad actors or wildlife in the
pre-security state, and further that false-positive results are
inevitable. It has the corollary that introducing security precautions
is invariably costly, and therefore that you must consider the security
gain relative to the inevitable costs before deciding to do so.

This is of course an intellectually difficult problem. With regard to
BGP, the security gain is not so much determined by how bad the problem
is now, as by how bad it could potentially be if someone took it into
their heads to tear up the rules and declare war. The answer is "very,
very bad indeed" which is why we're having this discussion.

It also reminds me of J.K. Galbraith's notion of the bezzle - at any
time, there is an inventory of undiscovered embezzlement in the economy.
Before it is discovered, both the fraudster and his or her victim
believe themselves to possess the money that has been stolen - there is
a net increase in psychic wealth, in JKG's words. In times of
prosperity, the bezzle grows, and in times of recession, it shrinks.

There is a bezzle of indeterminate size in the routing table, but we
won't find out how big it is until we audit it (i.e. deploy SBGP). Some
of it will just be randomness - misconfigurations and errors - but some
of it will be enemy action.

--
The only thing worse than e-mail disclaimers...is people who send e-mail
to lists complaining about them