Do Not Complicate Routing Security with Voodoo Economics

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Sep 4 20:03:54 UTC 2011

> Because routing to peers as a policy instead of customer as a matter
> of policy, outside of corner cases make logical sence.

welcome to the internet, it does not always make logical sense at first
glance.

the myth in academia that customers are always preferred over peers
comes from about '96 when vaf complained to asp and me (and we moved it
to nanog for general discussion) that we were not announcing an
identical prefix list to him at east and west.  the reason turned out to
be that, on one of the routers, a peer path was shorter in some cases,
so we had chosen it.  we were perfectly happy with that but vaf was not,
and he ran the larger network so won the discussion.

randy