iCloud - Is it going to hurt access providers?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sat Sep 3 22:08:50 UTC 2011

On Sep 3, 2011, at 5:02 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

The current apple "media" is reporting it's likely going to amazon and microsoft azure.

I've not bothered to look too deeply at dns and packet traces myself.

I'm guessing that all these things are going to hurt the DSL providers more than the docsis/fttx/pon based providers.  Those folks have broader capabilities by pushing updated configs to the devices.  The DSL based providers are more limited in my experience and likely to see a poorer ratio of up:down.  SDSL was just not common enough, so most A/VDSL based providers have something like 15:1.5 whereas comcast (for example) has 22:5.  I've seen the 22:5 service burst (or should that be buffer/manage the queue) to around 80Mb/s down in some cases.

This is something you are unlikely to see from a DSL provider unless the equipment is in-building.

- Jared