iCloud - Is it going to hurt access providers?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:49:20 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Skeeve Stevens <Skeeve at eintellego.net> wrote:

> My guess is that 99% of consumer internet access is Asymmetrical (DSL, Cable, wireless, etc) and iCloud when launched will 'upload' obscene amounts of gigs of music, tv, backups, email, photos, documents/data and so on to their data centres.

What would be obscene about that is from a design POV it would be a
waste of resources.
"Music"  and "TV"    content are from a small number of sources, and
there are a massive potential number of users.

What should happen is instead of transmitting  large video files...
block checksums should be transmitted,
and only files that are completely foreign should be transferred.

Whereas everything else being "backed up"  is just an assignment of
account access to existing blocks  that would
already have been stored on the  content servers.

And then also,   a user storing  10GB of music  would probably take
only a  few megabytes of  their account space,
once the "space used"  is evenly  divided by the number of users that
have that block saved,

since a majority of music files backed up would be file-identical
with  material  someone else had already backed up,
and identical to material  already in  the iTunes store  (which they
could pre-seed their database with).

--
-JH