Outgoing SMTP Servers

McCall, Gabriel Gabriel.McCall at thyssenkrupp.com
Fri Oct 28 12:54:37 UTC 2011

The alternative to centralization is enclosure: segmentation and private ownership of portions of the formerly common resource. Since the internet is already thus enclosed, with each portion completely owned by one autonomous agent or another, the problem at hand is not a commons problem at all but merely one of negotiation and market force. Internet Death Penalties, blacklists, and unilateral de-peering and blackholing are exactly the sorts of responses an economist would expect to see to a rogue actor in the network community, precise analogs of various types of economic ostracism going back to the merchant consortia of the middle ages.

-Gabriel