Outgoing SMTP Servers

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Oct 27 15:23:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:53:34 -0000, Brian Johnson said:

> It is interesting that some people who fully understand that the Internet is
> composed of many networks run by people with different interests can say what
> is best for the Internet as a whole. How my organization (or yours or anybody
> else's) runs our network, is between us and our paying users.

The fact that a behavior is "best" for your network does in no way, shape, or
form, say anything about what's best for the Internet as a whole.  In fact,
it's well-understood that there are entire classes of behaviors that are
optimal for single actors, but fail when deployed widely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons