Outgoing SMTP Servers

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Thu Oct 27 13:53:34 UTC 2011

I find that large network providers have less issues with this issue.

As a small regional provider, implementing a "sane" port 25 filter has saved us a lot of money and customer headaches over the years. Our costs would be much higher if we could not save labor hours by implementing this. Possibly making service costs even more prohibitive. Pre implementation of these filters we had lower customer satisfaction, and were contemplating hiring more people to handle the labor load, due to UCE issues.

It is interesting that some people who fully understand that the Internet is composed of many networks run by people with different interests can say what is best for the Internet as a whole. How my organization (or yours or anybody else's) runs our network, is between us and our paying users.

But this thread has been interesting to follow. :)

 - Brian J.