Colocation providers and ACL requests

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 25 23:55:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Christopher Pilkington <cjp at 0x1.net> wrote:
> Is it common in the industry for a colocation provider, when
> requested to put an egress ACL facing us such as:
>
>  deny udp any a.b.c.d/24 eq 80
>
> …to refuse and tell us we must subscribe to their
> managed DDOS product?

Christopher,

That seems reasonable to me. You're buying colo and transit, not
firewall service. If you want firewall service, that's extra.

If you do decide to move, I suggest a carrier neutral facility so that
you can change transit providers without moving your equipment. The
easier it is for you to walk away, the more accommodating vendors tend
to be.

Seeing much port 80 UDP traffic? My curiosity is piqued.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004