Outgoing SMTP Servers

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 19:46:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 07:15:00 -0400, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at unfix.org> wrote:
> On that iToy of yours it is just a flick of a switch, presto.

Where "flick of a switch" is actually several steps...
   Settings -> Network -> VPN... there's your switch.
   Wait for it to connect

And one's VPN profile has to be setup in advance.

Plus, it doesn't always work.  I gather you've never been in a network
where an IPSec VPN wouldn't connect.  I've seen it too many times. (I've
even seen ISPs where it didn't work.  Apparently GRE isn't IP to them.)
An SSL VPN will often get around that, but it's additional
hardware/software/setup/licenses/etc. (For a Cisco ASA, it's an additional
word in your vpn setup, and a license... base "demo" is only 2
connections.)

It's *MUCH* easier to setup the mail server on ports 465 and 587, require
auth and tls.  Done right, it's 100% transparent to the traveling user.
Works perfectly even in networks where a VPN doesn't and the idiot hotel
intercepts port 25 (not blocks, redirects to *their* server.)

--Ricky